Don’t panic, this cake won’t leave you rushing for a glass of water because your mouth is on fire. The chilli along with the other spices just gives this cake a well rounded warmth that makes in so moreish that you won’t be able to leave it alone.
- 175g softened unsalted butter
- 175g caster sugar
- 175g plain flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 carrots (grated)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon of orange juice
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon of chilli powder
- a little icing sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 180C / 350F / Gas Mark 4
- Cream (mix) the caster sugar and softened butter together until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Add the flour, baking powder, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, chilli powder, orange juice and eggs to the mixture and mix well. Don’t worry if the mix looks a little curdled at this stage.
- Add the grated carrot and mix well.
- Pour the mix into a 8-9″ deep cake tin or a 2lb loaf tin and bake in the centre of the oven for 20-30 minutes. Once cooked all the way through, take out of the oven and leave to cool. When cooled, cut into squares or slices and dust with icing sugar.