My youngest daughter absolutely loves mayo. If left to here own devices she would eat it on everything! The ingredients listed however on shop bought mayonnaise shows they are full of chemical nasties and substitutes for natural ingredients. So now I make my own. I know exactly what goes in it and although it doesn’t last as long in the fridge, it isn’t full of a load of chemical nonsense either!
This recipe makes a lot of mayo, enough to fill 2 jam jars so it will keep you going for a while. But because this recipe uses raw eggs, if you are pregnant you should still clear of it, also only keep it in your fridge in an air tight container for no more than 5 days. Having said all that, shop bought mayo is bland and certainly not like the rich, creamy and sublime taste of homemade mayonnaise.
Many people think that mayo is hard to make, it isn’t, I can make mine from start to finish in 5 minutes. The key is, add the oil drop by drop at first and then slowly drizzle as your pour the rest in whilst whisking at the same time. That really is the key, trust me 😉 OK! On with with the recipe!
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 whole egg
- 1 teaspoon Djorn mustard
- 15ml lemon juice (or the juice of ½ a lemon)
- ½ teaspoon caster sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 300ml sunflower oil
- 100ml olive oil
- Add all the ingredients EXCEPT THE OIL into a bowl.
- Mix them all with a spoon or a fork until thoroughly mixed.
- Start to add the oil but at first just a few drops, then either whisk by hand or use a hand whisk. Whisk until thoroughly mixed, then add a few drops more, whisk again and then repeat this another time.
- Now start to drizzle the oil into the mix in a steady slow stream as you whisk, keep whisking and drizzing at the same time, nice and slow. As you get close to the end of the oil the mayo should become thicker and lighter in colour, keep whisking.
- Once you get to the end of all your oil and all the oil is now drizzled into the mix, whisk for an extra 30 seconds until it is thick and creamy. Allow to rest for 10 minutes and then either use straight away or add to an air tight container and pop in the fridge. Eat within 5 days. Enjoy!