It is incredibly easy to make, tastes really good and you can add all your extra flavours to it too. It is softer than shop bought cottage cheese but much tastier.
- 4 pints of milk (not UHT) – milk can be whole milk, semi skimmed or skimmed, makes no difference.
- 8 tablespoons of lemon juice
- salt to taste
- You can also add things like chives, garlic, pineapple, parsley, tomatoes, prawns etc to this once made for extra whammy!
- Add your milk to a saucepan and heat gently. Make sure the milk is hot but do not let it boil.
- Once the milk is hot, take off the heat and allow to cool very slightly for about 2 minutes.
- Add the lemon juice and stir as you do, you will see that the milk starts to separate out into lumps and milky water. This is the curds and whey. Keep stirring very gently for about 2 minutes. If the mixture does not separate, add a little more lemon juice.
- Allow to cool for approx 15 minutes and then sieve the mixture but keeping both the curds and whey as you can use both.
- The curds left behind, add to a bowl and then gently mix in salt to taste (you can add pepper too if you want to). Then put in the fridge to chill before using. Once chilled it is ready to eat or to add all your extra flavours to.
- Don’t throw away the whey! You can use this to make buttermilk bread, recipe coming soon!