I love my slow cooker and when I say ‘love’ I mean, LOVE. In fact, I have two that sit side by side on my kitchen counter. One is a large 6.5L and the other a 3L. The beauty is, I can add everything I need in first thing in the morning and whilst I am out at work, dinner is cooking. Plus when you walk through your front door the smell is amazing! This dish went down very well last night and this is the slow cooker version of a sweet BBQ sauce I used to make so I knew everyone would like it. You can serve it with rice or, potato wedges are also very good with it!
Serves 4 healthy appetites.
- 4 large chicken legs (drumstick and thigh combined)
- half a mug of clear runny honey
- half a mug of dark soy sauce
- 3/4 mug of pineapple juice
- 3 cloves of garlic crushed or puréed (I use frozen garlic cubes)
- 1 tablespoon of tomato purée/paste
- 2 tablespoons of diced onions
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried chilli flakes (or you can add more or none at all, to taste)
- pinch of black pepper
- 1 tablespoon of cornflour
- 2 tablespoons of cold water
- a sprinkling of sesame seeds and spring onions to garnish
- This is easy, you ready? Add everything to the slow cooker apart from the cornflour, water, sesame seeds and spring onions.
- Give it all a little stir so everything mixes.
- Cook on the ‘low’ setting for 6-8 hours or until chicken is falling off the bones.
- Remove chicken from sauce.
- Add the cornflour to the cold water in a mug and stir quickly until it forms a smooth liquid.
- Pour this into the sauce and stir quickly to thicken.
- Turn up heat of slow cooker to ‘high’ and then remove all the meat off the bones (you can pull apart or shred, your choice) and then place the meat, minus the bones, back into the sauce.
- Leave for 10 minutes and then serve on rice or with potato wedges.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds and chopped spring onions over the top of the chicken for an extra crunch!